Thursday 11 June 2009

Zim, the Handy Desktop Wiki


In my day-to-day work I need to make plenty of notes to help me remember the plethora of obscure details or steps required in solving a problem. (When I was much younger I could commit this to memory, but nowadays I need to use the computer to help!).

I use Zim a desktop Wiki (written by Jaap G Karssenberg) to help me make such notes. It supports simple wiki formatting and allows me also create a tree hierarchy of wiki pages too.

Zim does not require any Wiki formatting know-how, it's a simple GUI based Wiki editor and just does the job for me. It generates ASCII text pages with Wiki formatting, so no fancy binary formatting gets in the way of later editing the text with vi, emacs or Zim itself.

To install, simply use: sudo apt-get install zim

No comments:

Post a Comment